Sunday, December 06, 2009

Holiday Gift Guides

It's that time of year again: when blogs and newspapers across the internet post Christmas gift guides that I can barely afford to even think about. Of course, the gift are always beautiful and/or useful, but more often than not they're for that twenty to thirty-something that actually managed to find a job out of college and is making enough money to live in a home with working insulation and a refrigerator that isn't held together by duct tape. But I digress.

The guides will be divided into parts, Under 100, Under 50, Under 20, and so on, and the gifts will get more and more useless and un-gifty as the price goes down. "Oh, a set of napkin rings? You shouldn't have. Really." Really great stuff.

This year everyone on my list is getting my handmade stuff. Lip balms, knitted hats and gloves, Christmas cards that were on sale. Or left over from last year. If I could afford it, I would give people books, but I already owe a few hundred on my credit card, and more than 6k in student loans. My family can suffer as much as I am. Which isn't to say that a few people aren't getting nice things. I knit pretty well and it's going to be wool, so they're getting good stuff. And I did spend some money over all. This is probably my most stressful Christmas yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment